Basell, Postcard Transcript
Basell, Postcard Transcript
Researcher: So yeah, thank you so much for agreeing to participate-
Basell: We haven't finished yet. (laughter)
Researcher: That's true. Okay, well, I won't thank you yet then.
Basell: I don't tell jokes so much as be sarcastic.
There's a... [Vacuum sound] vacuum and things like that, but that's only usually once a day and it's usually early in the morning during breakfast or things like that. At least I'm not doing it.
Researcher: Yeah, gotta be done, right? Spoken like someone who has worked in long-term care before.
Basell: Yes. I was a night nurse and then I was day charge and then I became the director. It's usually fairly quiet. [LTC hallway sounds] At times there is yelling from certain residents. [Yelling] And I think it's because they're frightened or they don't know what's going on.
Researcher: As someone who worked in long-term care, is this, um, something you would have experienced when you were working?
Basell: When I was working plus when I was- I was in two other long-term care short time before I ended up here/
Researcher: Oh really.
Basell: and it was much more prevalent there. More hectic and more unsure what was going on. [Uneasy background sound] The staff didn't seem to care as much. The administration didn't seem to look for answers. And it was just generally... disheartening.
Researcher: Sounds like you have a lot of empathy for the other residents here.
Basell: Well, I do now from my son. (laughter)
Researcher: Right. (laughter) Before, not so much.
Basell: Yeah. He just said, "Just think of how they're feeling." And it's true. And when I was first admitted to the other facility quite a while ago and when I was first, I would yell out in that at times too. "You're okay, you know, Mom." And he would calm me down. But some of these people have nobody to calm them down. And on the whole, it's peaceful. [Hallway sounds] Well, sometimes you can hear the different staff talking, low tones and residents, and it's just sort of a mellow sound. They have music every Thursday afternoon. [Music down hallway]. And they have- People have their TV or their radios on. And it's just, uh, calming. General peace.
Comments
Post a Comment