Grace, Postcard Transcript
Grace, Postcard Transcript
Grace: To be honest about it, you hear me? Sound does not bother me. (laughter) People have to enjoy themselves, right? And that I am in here and that so far, so fine. And sometimes I play my tape and so far nobody has complained. [Country music] I like country and western music.
I have the tapes if, if you want to play it.
Researcher: Oh yeah, can we play one of these maybe? So what would you like? Would you like Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette?
Grace: Tammy Wynette.
Researcher: Yeah, she's great. Let's do that. [Putting in CD, music playing] Oh yeah. Is this about the volume you go?
Grace: (singing) Sometimes...
Researcher: I know you were playing me some Tammy Wynette before.
Grace: Tammy Wynette.
Researcher: What's your favorite song?
Grace: Stand by your man and show the world you love him even though he's hard to understand. Because I was once married. And that I know to to be in a marriage until death do you part is a very hard thing. But here I'm happily divorced. [Music]
Okay, when I came here first, okay? The others they were from Jamaica, most of them. And a few of them were from Trinidad. And back in my country, St. Kitts, before Easter, it is their carnival, what we call Carabana here. [Calypso music] So when they say they're having something and what kind of music then that we like, I say, "Well, I will bring a Calypso and a country and western." [Guitar twang] One of them from Trinidad say, "Bring it, bring it, bring it!" (laughter) And the others say, "You don't say, no, what is she talking about? I gonna bring a Reggae." [Reggae music] And I said, "Yes, I don't mind a Reggae because I'm here to communicate and socialize. Look, bring the tape and you bring your tape and you bring your tape. We had about four different tapes. [All music playing at once]
But music is music, and it bring people together. Some. (Laughter) Well, here, to be honest, like, I try to socialize. Because that is what I'm here for. And so far, so fine. You know. Well like, uh, since the virus, things are not, you know, back to par yet. I wish then that, you know, that there will start having maybe some more, I mean, some activity like maybe playing bingo and cards and, show a movie or something. But, but with the virus, I guess things just, you know... I mean, some of us seniors, we don't want to socialize. And some, we socialize. And they can't do it only for me. But they might start again, who knows?
[Disc going into CD player. Music starting.] Well, to be honest about it, when I, when I close my door, my door is closed. Sometimes I like music, sometimes I play my crossword puzzle, or I read. Sometimes I hear talking out there, I hear music, and that is their hobby, leave them alone. I am here to socialize, communicate, and don't let nobody upset me. Walk away from them. I haven't got time.
Comments
Post a Comment